Thursday, September 15, 2011

A Whirlwind of Adventures...

So, yet again I have not updated my blog in weeks.  Maybe one day I will get a better grip on the whole updating every few days or at least every week, haha. 

Anyways, there have been many changes in life during the past few weeks.  I am now living in an orphanage just outside of Quito in a pueblo called Conocoto called the Henry Davis Foundation.  I am teaching English at the school there with my roomie, Kendra, who is a sweet friend from Washington.  We also tutor kids in the afternoon who are struggling with their English.  I am still learning how to balance these new responsibilities with my responsibilities of going to class and studying so that I will make good grades, which has definitely been a challenge but I know the Lord is having me walk through it for a reason.  However, one thing that is not challenging about the situation is loving the children!!  They are such blessings and they definitely hold a piece to my heart.  These children come from homes where most of the parents are still living but either they were unable to provide for the kids or it was a really bad home situation that the kids had to be removed from.  The Lord has already taught me so much through them.  One thing that I am learning is that even though we might all come from different circumstances, cultures, families, we all have the same basic needs.  We need shelter, food, water, and most of all we need to feel loved and be shown affection.  The last need is one that the kids here are desperate for....or their hearts have been hardened because of a lack in this affection.  It is hard to think about coming from a good home when you look at these kids and know their desire to be loved.

Some verses have also taken new meaning after my experiences here...For example Psalm 139:13-16:
13 For you formed my inward parts;


you knitted me together in my mother’s womb.

14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Wonderful are your works;

my soul knows it very well.

15 My frame was not hidden from you,

when I was being made in secret,

intricately woven in the depths of the earth.

16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;

in your book were written, every one of them,

the days that were formed for me,

when as yet there was none of them.

I cried when I read these verses during my time with the Lord one afternoon...because I thought of how the Lord lovingly and carefully wove together each and every single child that lives here and how many of their parents seem to have tossed the meaning of these verses aside.  My heart also hurt because of the fact that many of these kids do not see themselves as magnificent creations of the Creator..they see themselves as unwanted.  And this is a small fraction of a big picture that exists all around the world of people who live as if they are unwanted by family or by society.  Thankfully, the reality is that EVERYONE is wanted...we are all wanted more than we can imagine by the one who knows us best.  And our mission is to make sure that every person is aware of this fact.

Another blessing about living at this particular orphanage is that I can fellowship with two families from my home church, Brook Hills!  The Lord has an amazing way of working all things together for our good...I am amazed every day at the work of His hands!

A few prayer requests:  Please pray for the children here at Henry davis foundation.
Please pray for the house moms that have sacrificed so much to serve these children with ALL of their time.  Pray that the Lord will give them rest and wisdom on how to best raise these children and definitely pray for an immense ammount of love.
Please pray for me as I continue to figure out how to balance my schedule...that I would be wise and not waste the time the Lord has given me here.
May the Lord bless you and keep you and walk through every moment of every day with you.  And may you feel His presence!
Blessings,
Amber =D

No comments: