Tuesday, April 24, 2012

An Ever-Growing Desire for Another World

There is one earthly struggle that constantly arises in the midst of any situation: pride.  Just when you think that you have conquered this sin, you find yourself on your knees pleading with the Lord to forgive you of being prideful.  This has been a constant struggle for me in this period of life, quite possibly in every period of life, I was just too prideful to admit it.  Part of me believed that I hated sin because God hated sin, but God has graciously shown me how wrong I was.  Throughout this year, the Lord has been breaking me over personal sin and the sin of those around me.  He has made me aware that it is only by His grace and mercy that I find myself with the renewed heart that I have today.  There is nothing good within me apart from God, and he has shown me that on a variety of levels. 

These tough lessons have given me a deeper desire for our heavenly home, this desire is deeper than any I have ever felt.  In the past, I have desired to fulfill my own personal goals more than I desired to go to be with God in His heavenly dwelling.  Selfish, I know.  We all have areas that we need God to grow us in, and this was one of mine.  Now, I do desire to be in the Dwelling Place of the Lord!  How sweet that day will be!  Right now, I am reading through Job.  I have been so encouraged by Job, in that while he suffered unimaginable loss he sought his peace and comfort from the Lord.  Job never denies the Lord's goodness or His sovereignty in every situation.  But it is hard to miss the fact that Job longs for a life that is beyond the one he is living now in his misery.  Every day I am reminded that while I remain in this body, there will be a part of me that desires to rebel against God.  And by His grace, as we grow closer to Him in our walk, this temptation diminishes but it is always there.  For this reason, it becomes even sweeter knowing that when we are finally joined with Him in heaven we will no longer have this flesh!  In our heavenly bodies we will no longer experience pain or suffering, nor will we rebel against our Holy God ever again!  Praise His name!

Revelation 21:4~ He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.

However, although this desire for our heavenly home is ever present on our minds, we must work hard now so that others have the opportunity to join us in God's presence for eternity.  Let this be our encouragement to fight for the salvation of those around us until the Lord takes us home to be with Him!

1 Corinthians 9:24-27~ "Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one receives the prize?  So run that you may obtain it.  Every athlete exercises self-control in all things.  They do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable.  So I do not run aimlessly; I do not box as one beating the air.  But I discipline my body and keep it under control, lest after preaching to others I myself should be disqualified."

Grace and peace to you, my brothers and sisters in Christ!  Take heart, you are not in this battle alone.  You are in the shadow of the Almighty and the front lines are composed of all of us linked together by His strength and might.

Blessings,
Amber ;)

No comments: